Fans of the outdoors char grill will chuck pretty much everything savory on a barbeque, but when it comes to desserts, for food lovers it's often the end of the open fire and back to pavlovas or cakes.
This Cambodian banana recipe is the perfect way to end the barbeque without changing the atmosphere - when the sausages and steaks are done but guests still have just a small corner of their stomachs empty and are hankering after something sweet.
Preparation time: 25 minutes.
Cooking time: 20 minutes.
- 2 Ripped banana.
- 2 Eggs.
- 1 ½ Cups sugar.
- 1 Cup All purpose flour.
- ½ Stick of butter.
- ¼ Teaspoon salt.
- 1 Teaspoon pure vanilla extract.
- ¼ Teaspoon baking soda.
- 1 Teaspoon cooking oil.
- Peel bananas and wrap each in a strip of banana leaf, pig-in-a-blanket style, with ends exposed.
- Grill on barbeque over low coals until the leaf and bananas get some color and soften but are not mushy.
- Cover bananas with foil or banana leaf and press down, flattening slightly, and remove from heat.
- Remove the wrapping and set bananas aside for serving
- Mix coconut milk, sugar, salt and cornstarch mixture together in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Allow to come to a low boil, reduce heat and simmer until ingredients are incorporated.
- Serve trickled over grilled bananas.